On Monday I decided it was high time to dye. Something. Anything. I’d been teaching myself to spin and I was tired of spinning the natural colored Corriedale that came with my spinning wheel. Two pounds of the stuff came with my wheel and I hadn’t made a dent. I’d long wanted to dye my own fiber and what better to practice on than the free stuff?
I’d read the dyeing books, articles, how-tos, websites and watched the Youtube videos several times. I’d been collecting Kool-Aid packets and Wilton cake colors for several months. I’d joined the Kool Way to Dye Ravelry group. I’d obtained bare fiber and sock yarn.
There was nothing left do to but jump in.
I used a very scientific method of measurement to decide how much fiber to dye. I used the amount that fit into my 9X13 glass baking dish.
I got the fiber wet. I mixed KoolAid in glass glasses.
I poured the stuff over the fiber in stripes. I nuked it in the microwave. I did try to sort of maybe vaguely follow the aforementioned books, articles, how-tos, website and videos. It looked like I was going to want more color so I added more dye.
I got this.
It was so much fun I did it again
and showed it off at knit night the next day.
I still have lots of plain fiber to practice on. I still have many packets of KoolAid left. I’m thinkin’ hot pink and lime green need to make an appearance.