Aka, the Great Stash Organization of 2018.
I have a few things that I would like to start this year. A candy cane scarf/hat/mitt set for Chynna for one thing. A shawl and a Lanesplitter skirt for myself for another. But, my major crafting focus right now is to finish things. In order to accomplish this, I felt I really needed to get organized. I have a long list of WIPs to get through.
I had a large pile of project bags that I needed to tidy up. I could have hidden them in totes, but if they’re hidden I’m less likely to work on them. I gathered them all up from the far corners of the craft room and put them in one place. They’re all within reach of my office chair. But, still a little unorganized.
I took all the hats and put them in one bag, all the socks into another, and the mitts into yet another. I did the same for scarves, a pillow project, and the spindle spinning. Each family and each blanket project got its own bag and There is even a bag of cross stitching in the corner.
I have a lot of project bags. There is even a bag full of bags. Each thing is within easy reach for me to put into my Namaste knitting bag and head out to knit night or the living room. Wherever I want to craft.
I think it looks a lot better.
A small goal but totally doable is to reorganize my knit/crochet accessories. I know it’s doable because I just did it.
They are all right next to where I sit. Only a very few things like the double crochet hooks that I’ve never used and the very large knitting needles wouldn’t fit anywhere and are in a tub at the top of this shelf. Everything else, the dpns, the accessory bags, the interchangeable needle set, the circular needles are all right at my fingertips. I had to move a few things around to open up that shelf but everything I still wanted in that bookshelf is there. I only have to grab an accessory bag and toss it into my project bag and off I go.
I did a few little things like reorganize and tidy up the interchangeable needle bag. I took all the end protectors, the tightening pins, and the cable connectors out of the tiny ziplock bags and put them into two little plastic containers.
I also moved around tubs of stash. The spinning stash is now along the same wall as the yarn and the fabric has been moved to its own place on a different wall. I did a bit of sorting and actually freed up a tub. All of the stray yarn balls have been sorted back into their proper tubs.
I meant to get all this done before the new year, but I’m perfectly happy that it was finished during the first week of the year. I’ve begun as I mean to go on.